Hunt Elementary School was named for Henry Alexander Hunt, Jr. (10/10/1886-10/1/1938). He was born in Sparta, Georgia, graduated from Atlanta University and became a teacher in Jackson, GA. In February 1904 Hunt became the principal of the Fort Valley High and Industrial School (FVHI) which favored simple agricultural and manual training.
By 1913 the FVHI program comprised a grammar school and a high school as well as industrial training for men and women. Between 1904 and 1938 FVHI changed from being an ungraded school to a grammar school, high school and junior college. In April 2010 students moved into the new Hunt Elementary School located on Highway 341.