Welcome from the School Guidance Counselor's Corner :
Another great school year at Byron Elementary has begun! The counseling program at Byron uses domains set forth by ASCA (American School Counseling Association). Classroom guidance lessons are provided to all classes with lessons centered around many important skills needed for life long learning and cooperative relationships such as: listening and paying attention; goal setting/study skills building; friendship/interpersonal skills; and career awareness/exploration. Various other programs will be implemented throughout the year such as: a Schoolwide Character Education Program; the Drug, Alcohol, and Safety Awareness “Red Ribbon Week”; a SchoolwideAnti-Bullying Program; the Career/School to Work and Career Awareness Lessons; and the 5th Grade Career Research Portfolio. Also Parent Workshops are offered on Cybersafety, Getting Ready for Kindergarten, and Getting Ready for Middle School in collaboration with the BMS.
During the course of the year, students are offered both individual and small group counseling. These may focus on specific needs of the children, including: understanding feelings; anger management, impulse control, and problem solving; social/friendship skill building, and conflict resolution skills; changing families, grief or loss; and study skills. Parents, teachers, and/or students may refer for individual or group counseling. Written parental permission is required for all formal group counseling. As a school guidance counselor, I have a duty to protect our students from abuse and/or neglect. Please read the state’s Supervision of Children Guidelines posted on the website, and use for future reference should you have any questions.
I work with all students in grades Kindergarten through 5th by collaborating with our staff, parents, and community to support the Peach County and Byron Elementary School Counseling Program's Vision, Belief and Mission Statements.
Peach County School Counseling Program Vision, Mission and Belief Statements
We will graduate college and career ready students that are able to meet the challenges of a global workforce that includes 21st century soft skills. Our goal is to produce self-sufficient, socially competent, critically thinking problem solving individuals.
The Elementary School Counseling Mission Statement:
The mission of the Byron ElementarySchool Counseling Program is to promote educational performance, by providing all students with the opportunities to acquire the academic, career, personal, and social competencies necessary to achieve quality learning and life-long success.
1. All students will have access to high levels of learning and academic success through programs advocated by the leadership of school counselors as they collaborate with all stakeholders.
2. All students deserve to be educated in a safe and conducive learning environment.
3. All students need and deserve a solid educqtional foundation, as well as a trustworthy support system within the school to grow into a productive citizen.
4. All students will be provided with a School Guidance and Counseling Program that will be consistent with expected developmental stages and differences in learning styles.
5. All students will be equipped with the skills necessary for them to achieve their career goals.
6. All students will graduate with lifelong career decision making and management skills that are necessary to succeed in postsecondary eduation, training, and the workplace.
The Peach County Schools Comprehensive Program will:
1. Create a holistic program to impact the students' academic, emotional, and career needs.
2. Use data to drive the development and evaluation of the program.
3. Help build a positive school environment by encouraging collaboration among counselors, teachers, administrators, parents and the community to further student achievement.